Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

About us: part one

In the spirit of other DBM bloggers: Some stuff about we...

We are a houseful of vegans. Mostly.
But I LOVE eggs.
They are the only animal food I ever have craved in my almost 18 years of being vegan (21 vegetarian).

My kids have been vegan since birth and are super healthy and super strong! Nigel is the only but me who will even try eggs. And he will only eat the whites. More for me I guess.

I use the Internet term veg*n to label my lifestyle, but it doesn't translate well into real life. It means -to me- that I try to limit my animal product usage as best I can. I don't eat meat. I don't buy leather. I only spin wool or eat eggs from animals of people I know personally. I don't consume the breastmilk of any other species, etc...

I am not evangelical. I am not trying to convert ANYONE!

I just try to limit my impact and cruelty, which leads me to this:


Our coop and run
Ray and Sailers

"Chicken Fight" and "Soccer Ball"


I'm not a very good vegan.
I like to spin wool into yarn (even though I don't knit) and I keep chickens as pets. But they are happy, rescued chickens. I did not buy them as chicks at the expense of all the little male chickies. They were all turned in at the feed store by people who couldn't keep them. unfortunately, we are 98% sure "Soccer Ball" (this is what happens when a three year-old names your chicken) is a boy. Not sure what to do with him, as you can't have roosters within city limits.
Man I wish we had a farm.
Not a big farm. Just a few acres. Near the woods, but with enough sun to garden. With a stream. Within walking distance of a bustling neighborhood.  I am well aware that no such place exists. But a girl can dream right?

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Cool! That mythical place sounds wonderful. Here in Buffalo there are a few urban farms--people have reclaimed land that formerly held houses. Not really on a stream, but Lake Erie's right here :)

While I'm not a vegetarian anymore, and never was a vegan, I do try to eat responsibly and act environmentally ethically, as well. You may not be the best vegan, but you're living responsibly, which counts for a lot more than just a label. Good for you!

Post a Comment