I could go with the obvious her. Namely Glow in the Woods. Which is amazingly helpful and inspiring and tragic place.
But, oddly enough what was most meaningful to me, especially while I was lying in bed trying not to bleed to death 7 weeks postpartum, was websites like The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit and this one (although the second one is about the website I went to a lot, but is now missing from the interweb.)
I'm from "the D" born and raised. Well, raised in the suburbs but born and lived in Detroit occasionally. I really didn't understand why the websites -and many more which I never bookmarked- were so important to me during the early weeks. But now that I think about it more, I think they connected me to home. A place i got the hell out of at 19 years-old, but still miss on occasion. And places that, although the world around them has changed so much, remain. Even if they have been rotting husks since before I was born. They are what I grew up with and they are still there same as ever. Or so I like to think.
I got really bored on bed rest and decided to go on a walking tour of my old haunts one time, that was a bad idea. The autonomous zone was a fancy bakery and the co-op seemed to have moved into a larger space and then gone under. it was a bit surreal and disappointing. But hell, everything was at that point.
If I wasn't in the midst of sleepover weekend (one kid leaves at 11 tomorrow and the next arrives at noon) I might visit Edison Park via Google street view and see if I can find my sister's old apartment.
Dads Who Don’t Deal
5 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment