I can't be sad about Juniper all the time. I also can't be at peace with it. I can't write about him. I miss him like always, but it is distant and amorphous. I still get misty over newborns, not usually 18 month-old toddlers, which is what he should be. I am still deeply traumatized by everything. I don't cry very often. For the 1.5 year deathiversary I did weep my eyes out quietly in the dark next to my -sleeps like a rock husband- whilst clutching the hat I made for Juniper that I could have sworn he was wearing when we sent him off to be "handled." I have no idea how that hat came back. I wonder if they burned him naked. That isn't very nice, or comforting. I also have no idea why there is a staple mixed in with his ashes. A regular -office looking- staple. It's all charred and black, but is clearly a staple, not a baby bone or flake of what I assume is skull? It might be a suture, but why only one. and it's kind of huge. Who knows? Why do I even think about these things? These thoughts are the things that make it hard for me to
I'm not sure what the hell to do. The long and short of it is. I am tired of being a dead baby mom. I feel bad that I just dropped out of "the community." I subscribed to so many blogs and I haven't checked any of them. Half I'm afraid of because they already have their rainbows and the other half are in some sort of hellish limbo, but not the same one I'm in. I feel bad, but I can't be supportive. I have nothing to give. Not even to my own family. I've been doing a lot of isolating lately. For better and worse. If it makes anyone feel better, I also dropped out of my Mothering community because of one "oops" pregnancy announcement. I haven't spoken to my mother in a year because she pissed me off one too many times. And I can't forgive her because she hasn't asked me too. She doesn't get it. She hurts her kids then makes excuses. I don't have room for people who can't be trusted. Even when I am surrounded by friends and family, I am making myself alone. WHY? I don't know. Perhaps because I know I am pretty much alone in my quest for another baby anyway. I have a bevy of well wishers (I think) but ultimately Dave was right when he called this "my project." So we all just play along, but I'm not exactly here, or there. I'm about two inches to the left I guess.
I have other kids that need me, though I often am just phoning it in because my head is never on quite straight. I hurt my wrist the other day pushing Nigel on the swing. I wasn't really into it. I was a thousand miles away resenting being at the park with a kid who refused to PLAY. I was so frustrated at having to do this simple interaction when all I really wanted to do was sit on my ass and talk with other moms.Though even there, there was an uncomfortable disconnect. I am having a really hard time being present in just about every interaction. It makes for some scary driving. Terrible. I know. "Why would she want to have other kids when she is so put off by the ones she has now?" But I'm not, I swear. I'm just having so much trouble wanting to be in this life. I'm not sad, I'm not angry. I'm waiting. And my therapist says that's the problem. I have to stop waiting. I can find a million things to occupy my time. I can sew, needle point, card wool, make cosplay outfits, chat at the park, pick berries, drink a lot of wine, go shopping, play guitar, ride bikes, etc... I'm not present while I'm doing any of them. So I wait, while I should be there doing that thing. Whatever it is. It's not what I want to be doing. It's just something I'm doing to bide my time. An unhealthy and unpleasant way to exist. I'm depressed, but not in a sad way. And I end up hurting myself by just not paying good attention. It's pathetic.
I've been seeing so many many practitioners about that too. The hurting. Literal and figurative head-straightening. I was having agonizing, blinding headaches and neck and shoulder and hip pain that would kill a weaker man. But thanks to my super team of chiropractor, acupuncturist, massage therapist, physical therapist and the massage chair my daddy got my for Solstmas. I can mostly move my head and neck sometimes. So that was fun. Now my wrist hurts and I am swollen like whale carcass on the beach at high noon from the stupid Clomid (more on that below.) I live in a world of stupid minor discomforts and I try to suck it up, but this is my blog and I'll whine if I want to!
Next we moved on to failing at getting pregnant (or maybe it was simultaneous. Who remembers? The past 7 months, no ... 18months, no ... 2 years+ have been a bit of a blur.) We consulted the fertility doctors and they did a few intrusive and unpleasant tests. Just this past couple of weeks I have been subjected to an HSG and a Clomid Challenge test with the accompanying blood draws, dildo cams and grievous side effects.. Just like all the blood work I endured last year. IT WAS POINTLESS. I guess I am fine. My body killing off and then outright avoiding babies is just BAD FUCKING LUCK! So now we are at the I can't seem to get pregnant and there is apparently no reason for the septenary infertility (6 pregnancies, if any one's counting.) Unless of course this Clomid thing does it's goddamn job, besides just making me fat and cranky and have achy boobs. I have, in theory, had enough time since Juniper was born, to grow and birth two babies. (If I was insane) And the one my body killed off in January would be due a couple of days ago. So, I'm still in dead baby waiting land, but now with inexplicable infertility and two big kids who are getting older every minute; including one that I have recently had to discuss birth control with. (scary.)
So that's where I am. And I decide today that I really need to blog. Even if no one reads it or comments. Because It does keep me present. I am sitting on my porch in the lovely summer dark drinking cheap white wine and blogging because that's this kind of thing you can do with no baby. But it's not where I want to be. SO, I'm wondering if I should start a new blog? If so, what to focus on. Sewing? Homeschooling? The trials and tribulations of having old eggs and two out of your six babies alive? Should I just stay here? If you are still reading, please weigh in, but I'll understand if you're not, since it's only fair.



15 comments:
I read it all Emily. The staple and the baby hat. So many emotions to process, no wonder you are overwhelmed and don't feel present. I hope you do keep writing in some fashion. You have a gift and the guts to share it. It sounds strange to say but it is always a good read. I hope that isn't offensive. Take care the best you can. You sure do try hard to. Love to you cousin.
If it helps to write then keep on doing so Emily, I don't think you have to start somewhere else - this is your space after all and you can let it morph into whatever you want.
The waiting is the hardest, I really feel for you marking time for that 'something' to come along. Be gentle with yourself and allow those lower expectations of being present to be. I wish you so much luck getting your rainbow baby - sending love and wishing you comfort too
Well you know I'm still here as I left a kind of stalker-y comment a couple of days ago! Hope I didn't freak you out! I was listening to Tallahassee and you just popped into my brain and I wondered how things were. Thank you for posting.
Oh geesh. That staple. I suspect this might be why I have never opened G's ashes. They are in the same plastic bag that I collected them in because I am worried about finding something inexplicable like a staple. Or something too recognisable.
The whole two inches to the left and phoning it in stuff. The rubbish driving. That disconnect thing. I was (am) definitely there too.
I'm sorry about all the physical pain. That sounds so awful and I find that minor discomforts now make me go 'hey, this is TOO MUCH'
It's awful being stuck in that waiting place and HSGs and so on are no fun. Hoping for you.
As Tess has already commented, this is your place and you can write about whatever you choose to. You could stay here and write about other things or start completely afresh.
It's good to hear from you again. It sounds like we are in somewhat of the same place. My blog sounds like I am busy doing things trying to get a baby but really I'm just waiting too. I say I'm going to adopt, but I really don't believe it will happen, just like I don't think I will get pregnant. So I wait. Wait to be happy. Wait to have something to live for and then feel guilty because I already have a child and why isn't she enough? I hope you stick around here. Your voice always soothes me and although I hope we are soon on different pages because you are pregnant, it's nice to know I'm not alone. And, yes, Clomid sucks hairy monkey balls. Hugs.
i'm reading...and i'm glad that i'm not the only one who isn't present with my living children. that sounds terrible, but just tonight i was journaling about what a bad mom i must be to not even feel connected to them and then here is your blog and i don't feel so alone. thank you.
as for the blog...do with it what you want...it's yours and you are allowed to morph it or start all over in a new place. it's your choice - do whatever feels right to you!
A lot of this resonates well with me, especially the isolation aspect. I also have been struggling a lot with the waiting. Always fucking waiting it seems. I am glad that you have checked in, and I can't be mad at ya because I haven't been a good blogger lately myself. Love to you and Juniper always~
Ai yi yi. Part of me wonders when will it all end? The craziness, the moodswings, the shit of being a grieving mom twice over...
I'm still here. And I wont go anywhere. I don't expect you to repay the favour and you never, ever have to apologise for that. I'm sure the majority of this community would agree with me on that. We'll all support you any way we can, whenever you pop by.
Nice to hear your voice again.
xo
I'm still here too. I have you in my reader, and when a post pops up, I pop over, or try to. I agree with the above commenter who said, this is your space, morph it into whatever you want it to be. I struggle with that too, though. Not wanting to freak people out who visit my site for the first time, and also knowing that grief isn't all I am. It is a strange world we have created here. xo
Well if Catherine was leaving stalkery type comments I must admit to thinking stalkery type thoughts and wondering how you were doing. I did have hopes that you would have good news when you resurfaced and while it sucks to hear that's not the case, it's still good to hear from you.
Waiting sucks and endless waiting, while in physical pain, has to be damn near torturous.
Don't feel bad for dropping out of site. It is what you need to do. Just know we are here if you need us.
I have been thinking of you--I even popped in to the FB group the other day looking for you.
Keep writing. We are all listening. And if I've learned nothing else, it's this ether that will listen and lean and cry with you, no matter what.
I'm sorry things really suck right now. I so want them to be better, and I'm sending you loads of good energy. Don't ever feel like you need to comment or even read.
Lots of love to you.
xo
I'm sorry. I wish things were better and easier and that we could just forget it all. (Except forgetting would hurt too because our babies don't deserve that either. It sucks to be a dead baby mom.) I'm glad you blogged and I hope it helped somewhat. Thinking of you...
Hey mamma.. a little late to the party but just wanted to say I know. And I'm sorry. And I get it. And it sucks. All of it.
If you ever feel like bitching about our babies AND secondary infertility swing by.. we can have a few wise cracks together.
Sending you my thoughts...
Oh honey, I have thought about you and wanted to visit you here. I get it, the phoning it in, all of it, I feel it every damn day (and I have my "rainbow", even after that its still hard to be present). Just loving you, feeling all of that crap with you.
Emily, I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I came over here just now in November and read this from August. My heart hurts for you, and I'm thinking of you, and I hope things get better.
Post a Comment