![]() |
| my first hand spun and hand knit socks. my dad wore them once |
![]() |
| made the hat, not the teenager |
![]() | ||
| hand washed, carded, spun and knit by me. So, fiber arts = my hobby. Right? Well, that's where the second part of the title of today's post comes into play. See, I have tried to card, or spin or needle felt. Hell! I even started to knit a scarf that I will never finish, for Heather - who deeply deserves a pink scarf. The thing is. You know that deeply disturbed, deadbabymama part of my brain that I keep under lock and key most days? (honestly, this is me trying to act normal.) That crazy lady is completely convinced that knitting kills babies. Fucked up as all hell, but there it is. The two babies I knit things for while I was pregnant both died within days of each other. Yes I am a rational skeptic atheist. But, that DBM chic? She is completely superstitious. And if you try to tell her that it was coincidence, or maybe just that yarn (don't be ridiculous, sock yarn doesn't kill babies, knitting does) she will either cut you, or run and hide and sob. Either way, there will be no knitting done around here for quite a long while. And that -if anyone is still reading- is how my hobby has changed. An ironic note; our doctor gave Nigel a bag of llama wool to take home today after his visit. I can't get to the carding combs right now though. Also, the one thing I bought whilst antiquing this weekend was an incorrectly labeled, and therefore very cheap, antique drop spindle! |






2 comments:
I hear you on the superstitions. I can rationally explain why things are innocuous--getting my haircut, going to the chiropractor--but in the wake of my baby's death, these being the last two things I did, they're so very traumatic.
I think I had a dream about carding wool last night after reading your post, and I don't even know what that is! But it was a cool dream ;)
If it makes you feel better about your superstitions, the DBM in me is convinced she traded her son's soul (while he was in utero) for that of her dog (while he was at the emergency room after eating dark chocolate and was very very dangerously sick) because she was so scared of losing her dog that she may or may not have tried to do some bargaining with a god (or a devil) she didn't even really believe in...and then 8 weeks later apparently so-called god/devil took her up on that bargain and stole the soul right out of her son....
Post a Comment