The FUCKING Holidays
AGGRRHHHH!
They suck for all of us DBMs, for so many reasons. It is really awful to have this vacancy that we all have. Where "baby's first Christmas" and all that crap should be we have ... nothing. A big gaping maw of empty space in a time that is all about children and family. And the world still expecting that empty space to be filled with false smiles, cookies and tinsel, well wishes and crumpled wrapping paper.
For me they suck in a special way (not harder, not worse, just umm...more pointy.) See, Juniper and Nigel are a week apart. Well, 5 years minus one week. So five years ago we had "baby's first Solstmas*" Five years ago, Nigel was learning to walk and my dad came out for the holidays and
Arrrggghhh FUCK IT ALL I don't even have to imagine what this time should be like I KNOW what it should be like. I lived it and I'm supposed to be living it again and I can't even find a fucking picture that isn't gruesome to put in the frame I made because someone is missing from this family and so the frame with his name on it is ironically empty!
AND IT JUST FUCKING SUCKS!
And I'm not supposed to ruin Solstmas for the kids I DO have. But I just can't wrap my brain around joining the charade of celebration. And we are not christian and they don't need anything, and our family is a billion miles away. And I don't want to kill a tree and we don't have a place to plant a live one and I can't fathom buying a bunch of shit just so we can go along with the rest of the sheeple. I just want to run away. And they, of course, don't understand. I am usually the Solstmas cheerleader. I make the fucking holidays happen and everyone just has expected that all along and usually that's okay. But this year I just can't and no one else wants to do it, but they want to complain about it nonetheless. Or they want to run away too. And I want them here, I just don't want to make the effort to pretend to be happy when I'm not.
I want a baby
and a tree
and a Solstmas party
![]() | ||
| I want this again |
![]() | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| or this (but with my baby) |
*Solstmas being my own, made-up holiday, seeing as how we are not christian or pagan or ANYthing





10 comments:
I have broken blood vessels too, and my face looks like I have a sinus infection because I am so swollen around my nose, and I've lost a layer of skin on my face from crying so hard and wiping my face on whatever is available. I am literally crying my face off these days.
If I ever become a bazillionaire (which is so unlikely), I am going to open a retreat center, open from the week before Thanksgiving until the week after New Years, and all DBMs and DBDaddies can come and stay there for free for as long as they like. There will be no word spoken of holidays and no gift giving, no mention of "joy to the world" or attempts to be merry. Lots of places to throw tantrums and things to smash and bash and kick and hit. And warm water to float in, and hot tea/cocoa/brandy/whatever to drink and candles to be lit...
Wake me up in January, please.
I've been contemplating the mental institution route too. Thanksgiving has nearly knocked me under. How bad will Christmas be?
Yeah Sarh. SIgn me up. Missy (from Mommy's sunshine) are contemplating an island somewhere.) So with the $10.00 in my purse, we are not even close to that bazillion ;-)
And Angela, Halloween kicked my ass, this time of year is NOT okay. Can't it just go away?
There's is just no way to avoid "the holidays" that doesn't involve taking up residence in a cave somewhere. I can't even go pick up some milk without being surrounded by holiday crap.
I hate that we all have to feel bad about not wanting to celebrate on top of feeling bad because our children are dead. There should be somewhere we can check into to sleep through the next 6 weeks.
The holidays. Arrggh indeed. And I can totally understand why the holidays suck for you in an especially sucky and 'pointy' way. To have had it all once with Nigel, what you hoped to enjoy with Juniper. Ahh, so painful.
I'm contemplating hibernation myself.
Oh yes. I can so relate to this. And Sarah, I'll see you at the retreat!
xo
I would love to go on that retreat too...
Instead Leif and I are being completely antisocial this holiday season. Thanksgiving alone at a French restaurant and serious contemplation about going to San Francisco by ourselves for Christmas/Solstmas. I'm testing the waters to see if my family will let me get away with the san francisco escape.
Hoping someone else picks up the slack so that you don't have to...
Brianna, if you come to SF, I'd love to see you.
I'll let everyone know when my retreat center is open.
Sweet! And if anyone is ever in Portland, I'll buy you a coffee.
For your Baby Juniper
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7185693&l=390807ebd9&id=522074749
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7077438&l=84c0bd7365&id=522074749
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7149157&l=230a4104ec&id=522074749
Post a Comment