Bakunin said "The urge to destroy is also a creative urge." Right?
So, I told my therapist this and said I wanted to break things and hit things and destroy things. And she offered up, "will that make you feel better?" I thought about it and said "for a little while." And she asked if that was enough for me, to feel good in little spurts? I said "no." She suggested that when I feel that way, what I really need to is create something. Because then; there it is and it's not fleeting and I can be proud of it and it will sustain me for much longer than a destructive act, which will inevitably drain me because I have nothing to show for it.
And I thought it was crap and I left there still wanting to smash everything.
(I am a slow learner and stubborn as hell I guess)
But then I had a really, really, bad day and I started sewing this little outfit for my stupid sister's baby that she shouldn't be having because she is a selfish dumbshit. And I cried my eyes out. And then I still felt bad, so I started sewing a dress for the Mary Madeline project and I ruined quite a bit of taffeta with my tears, but I sewed and sewed until I couldn't see straight and I was dehydrated from the tears. Then I went to bed.
And the next day I still felt a bit crappy, but I went down to the sewing room and looked at what I'd done. And Dammit! I smiled a just a little. I was proud of what I accomplished in my pain and rage. And there were no shards to cut myself on, just some stray pieces of thread and fabric.
Still, some days I think a few hours chopping firewood (which is destructive, but also useful) would be just the ticket. Unfortunately, I live in the middle of the city and our firewood comes neatly wrapped in plastic like a Mal-wart steak.)
Dads Who Don’t Deal
5 years ago



9 comments:
you could break plates and then make a mosaic...just a thought - destructive art!
Great that you can channel your pain into something so beautiful... the Mary Madeline project sounds amazing. Have a little outfit for our little one made a huge difference and the thought that someone had made it lost babies made it even more special xoxo
It works for me, but yeah sometimes I still want to smash things up. x
Damn it I am so not good at things, but I am great at smashing things so maybe I will try the mosaic idea that Michelle said. I need something constructive to do with all this energy. I feel like I could rip an entire building apart with my bare hands. Maybe I could walk all the way to Oregon and learn how to sew and then walk all the way back. There's a thought. *sigh* It sucks to be on this road mama, but alas we are not alone. All my love~
The mosaic is such a great idea.. I also know some mammas who broke things and then glued them back together just to complete the task.
It is amazing that you sew for this organization.. I wish I had the talent..
A few years ago this post would've just confused me. Now I not only love it, I completely get it. Can't wait to dig into your blog some more when I have more time!
Oh, I think I know that urge. Digging holes is particularly good for me, I find - destructive and creative at the same time - especially if you have a tree to plant, for example.
I don't think I've commented here before, but wanted to say I'm so sorry you lost your lovely Juniper, and sorry / better luck next time about this recent miscarriage. Sending love, H
Sending love your way today and remembering with you.
I just wanted to post again because you and I seem to be in parallel universes right now.. 3rd miscarriage. Fucking awesome. I couldn't find a contact for you but just wanted to reach out in case you wanted to have a nice bitch session.
love and light....
Post a Comment